Happy New Year: Why Your Holiday Campaigns Have Only Just Started Working
Congratulations, you made it through the holidays. But now is not the time to sit back and relax. Your hard-won (expensively bought) holiday email marketing campaigns have only just started working, and you now have only a limited time to see a return on your efforts.
FACT: The average email address has a shelf life of only 18 months. That means they might just see one more Christmas before they start delivering nothing but bounces.
January is a great time to put email marketing to work and:
- Clear excess stock and returns (the longer a product sits in your warehouse, the more money it costs you)
- Promote upsell opportunities or sell added-value products/services (because your existing clients trust you, they are the easiest people to sell to)
- Drive new engagements (such as generating customer reviews, which will help build credibility and aid SEO)
- Start thinking about your next big opportunity (Valentine’s Day?)
The start of the new year is also a great time to do all those jobs you just didn’t have time for in the run-up to the holidays, like:
- Segmenting your lists
- Cleansing your lists
- A/B testing (test everything: subject lines, creative copy, calls-to-action [CTAs], time and frequency of sends, etc.)
- Revamping your email templates (give special thought to mobile devices)
As I often say, email marketing is the profitable component of your entire marketing strategy. You’ve put in the hard work. You’ve spent a fortune acquiring new customers in the run-up to the holidays. Now is the time to see a return on your investment.
Email marketing isn’t just for the holidays. It’s the lifeblood of your business, and you need to start pumping it through your business now if you want to see a healthy return.
What will you be doing to ensure email marketing keeps delivering in 2019? Share your comments below:
This abridged post first appeared on the iContact Email Marketing Blog.